Below is the text recited by honor guards when folding the American flat at the funeral of America’s heroes.
1. The first fold of our flag is a symbol of life.
2. The second fold is a symbol of our belief in the eternal life.
3. The third fold is made to honor and remembrance of the veteran departing our ranks who gave a portion of life for the defense of our country.
4. The fourth fold represents our weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in times of war for His divine guidance.
The fifth fold is a tribute to our country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, “Our country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong.”
The sixth fold is for where our hearts lie. It is with our heart that we pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
7. The seventh fold is a tribute to our Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that we protect our country and our flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of or Republic.
8. The eighth fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day.
9. The ninth fold is a tribute to womanhood, for it has been through their faith, love, loyalty, and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great have been molded.
10. The tenth fold is a tribute to father, for he too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since they were first born.
11. The eleventh fold, in the eyes of a Hebrew citizen, represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon, and glorifies, in their eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
12. The twelfth fold, in the eyes of a Christian citizen, represents en emblem of eternity and glorifies, in their eyes, God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
When the flat is completely folded, the stars are uppermost, reminging us our our national motto, “In God We Trust.”
Reference July Issue Magnificat Page 62